Wednesday 15 January 2020

November on the Southwell Trail - Part 2

As I take photographs on daily basis I find myself documenting small changes or details around me. This might be a weather event, a seasonal change, or may be a farming activity. I try to do this, as I would with any subject, by making a composition. And, whilst this might seem an obvious statement, it means that I try to select an aspect that not only records what I see but potentially has a visual appeal as well.

These days I don’t consciously think about this process whilst I am taking the photographs as it happens automatically. I know this because I used to go out with a camera, particularly when I started photography, and go home because I couldn’t see anything to photograph (or I couldn’t make a composition from what I could see).

Today I would be comfortable going anywhere and would always come back with photographs. The only criteria I would apply is whether the result have a personal visual appeal....as to whether someone else would see that appeal, I guess some would and some wouldn’t, so no point over worrying about that!

With that discussion in mind, these are the small changes and details details I spotted during November along the Southwell Trail, starting with the first frost of the autumn season.

The first ground frost I captured was a mild one in mid-November - no doubt there had been a few more but I tend not to go out very early, preferring the light from 10 am onwards...it also suites my own time clock and I have never been a dawn riser!

The results show compositions made from the undergrowth of grasses, bracken and fallen leaves. Hopefully these rather mundane subjects have that visual appeal I mentioned above in addition to a straight forward documentation of the conditions:













I have been following the progress of the hornbeam trees across the seasons during this year. To complete the annual cycle I recorded the leaves changing their colours and eventually falling to cover the ground:





Finally, I documented the seasonal changes in some of the silver birch and oak trees along the trail. Simple, easy photography, but also enjoyable:








No comments:

Post a Comment