Tuesday 21 January 2020

City Photography (November 2019)

Taking a break from autumn photography in the forests is this selection of images captured in Nottingham city centre. It is an unusual set that focuses on some redevelopment work near to the Broadmarsh shopping centre.

My interest was two-fold. Firstly, I liked the colours of the insulation panels in combination with the lines and angles created by the new building and the tram flyover. Secondly, it is an area that I photographed prior to the demolition work.

Many years ago I photographed the doors of Cornish Engineering in Popham Street and this was my first experience of creating panels of linked images. Before this I had mainly concentrated on individual landscapes and the Cornish Engineering set was real turning point in my photographic output. I guess there is also a value in these photographs now the building has been demolished. The set can be viewed here.










In addition to the above set is a series of reflections in the nearby city canal. This is a subject that I have taken many times over the years but due to the nature of water movement no two images are ever the same.

All these photographs needed a processing push to draw out the colours (the dehaze slider works well for this) and I have included one shot that shows some of the context for the more abstract compositions:











No comments:

Post a Comment