Wednesday 25 November 2020

Sherwood Forest (October 2020)

I might have said in previous posts that this year’s autumn photography was impacted by the weather. There were many dull and uninspiring days during the October, more than I might have expected, reducing the opportunities to get out at the best times for the seasonal colours.

With that in mind, I watched the weather forecast closely and scheduled every day that predicted a glimpse of sunlight for photography, including this trip to Sherwood Forest in late October. 

I was buoyed on the day by large patches of blue sky in the distance but was thwarted by stubborn clouds passing across the sun.

Knowing that a burst of sunlight was possible started the old photographer’s dilemma: do I wait for light on a specific composition or do I walk on to the next one?

In the end, I did a bit of both. 

For this fine autumnal beech tree, I stopped and waited for 30 to 40 minutes for light that lasted only seconds - enough, though, for these shots:



When I lost the direct sunlight I tended to zoom into the colours:









Other times I just reacted as the light changed:













Ten days later I returned to Sherwood on a day that did stayed bright for the whole visit and recaptured the same beech tree shown above, albeit taken from a different angle. In between visits it had completely lost it leaves proving that it was the right decision to wait for the burst of sunlight:


No comments:

Post a Comment