Friday 20 November 2020

Combs Lane (October 2020)

Following on from my previous post, I move a little further up Combs Lane to photograph the lane itself and some scenes across the fields which includes trees that I can only really identify from a distance. 

The first of those trees is a freestanding sycamore which I have identified by zooming into the photograph on the PC and assessing the leaf shape. It has a definite maple-like leaf so I am guessing that it is a sycamore. If I am wrong however, it doesn’t really matter, as it is a fine tree to photograph. 

The sequence below starts in early October when the tree still had a good canopy of leaves. Gradually these thinned during the month but the peak colour didn't materialise until very end of October. By this time the tree was almost bare. In fact, there was only four days between images two and three below indicating how quickly the colour transition occurred:




To one side of Combs Lane is a series of flat fields, which includes the sycamore tree above. As they broadly extend in a northerly direction they receive side lighting for most of the day. This often highlights the trees that border the fields producing - from my point of view - good photographic interest. 

One of the larger trees is often the focus of my shots. I believe it to be a lime tree but I can’t be certain from a distance. Again, I show below its seasonal progression through October which is then followed by a number of photographs of the smaller trees in the hedge rows together with a nicely shaped oak:












Finishing this selection is an ash tree on Combs Lane itself. I find that this tree composes nicely as its branches extend across the lane. By the end of the month, this was also another tree that had shed its leaves ready for winter: 





No comments:

Post a Comment