Thursday 6 May 2021

Spittal Beach (February 2014) - Part 2

As I mentioned in the previous post I had too many photographs from Spittal Beach to comfortably fit into one post, so I held back a number of square format images which are shown below. 

These were mainly back up shots taken with a compact camera whilst I set up the tripod and DSLR for the main compositions. Many of these went unprocessed in 2014 but the recent lockdown period has given me more time to look back on old photography, often finding a few surprises, which includes the following set. I particularly like the square format and wonder why I ignored the results at the time.

The best answer I can come up with is camera bias and my belief in 2014 that results from compact cameras couldn't match a full frame DSLR with an expensive lens mounted on a tripod. In one way that is true, but in another way images are not stamped with the make and type of camera. If the subject is right and image is sharp then that is good enough for me...7 years after the event! In fact, there are a few in this square format collection that rival some of the images taken with the full DSLR kit. 
















To complete the posts from Spittal Beach are a couple of record shots which give some context to the close up studies. The first shows the rocky outcrop, and as I said in the previous Spittal Beach post, I had initially wondered whether I was in the right place. It was only when I looked closely I started to see the colours and patterns and this experience served me well during the time I spent in Cornwall (2015/2017) where rock studies became one of the staple subjects for my photography. 

The other shots below show the incoming tide flushing through the sandstone giving an insight into the process of erosion that continues to shape these rocks.






No comments:

Post a Comment