Tuesday 6 October 2020

Lowry Centre (July 2017)

Although I led with a series of photographs of the Imperial War Museum - see my previous post, I was actually in Manchester to visit the Lowry Gallery which was also displaying photographs from the 1960’s by Clive Arrowsmith. 

Clive Arrowsmith’s photography was fabulous and included not only portraits of Lowry but aspects of his home, his working environment, and the 1960’s urban landscape. More information about the exhibition can be found here including a video presented by the gallery’s curator:

https://thelowry.com/whats-on/lowry-at-home-salford-1966/

I particularly enjoyed the exhibition’s huge prints which I was able to capture for myself, with the gallery’s permission:




Having immersed myself in 1960's black and white photography and Lowry's distinctive representations of industrial Manchester, I turned my attention to my own photography and what seemed to be the most obvious contrast - the replacement of brick and stone by steel and glass. 

These were some of the results:
























No comments:

Post a Comment