Thursday 10 September 2020

North Uist & Berneray (Scotland 2013)

We were lucky with the weather for most of the Scotland trip in 2013. There was a nice tempo between the fine bright days and inevitable dull and rainy ones which added variety to the photography and the occasional moments of drama.

The longest run of the poorer weather was the travel day from Harris (see my previous post in the Scotland series) and the first two days on North Uist. Despite this, we persisted with the photography exploring the different beaches and making good use of the waterproofs!

Given the conditions, I didn’t have high expectations when I started the re-processing exercise for these two days - I even thought I might skip over them. To my surprise though, I found myself taking extra time to look at each image, reliving the sequence of photographs. I could see the rain gaps, the movements between locations, the subjects I tried to capture, the adjustments I made for the conditions, and the search for different points of view. 

Moreover, there were a few occasions when I was transported back to the location. I could feel the atmosphere, the sense of isolation from the deserted beaches and the gloomy half light...which I hope translates in the following selection of photographs, particularly the first image which I return most often. It was taken at Traigh Iar sands on North Uist:

The were some of the other images from the visit to Traigh Iar:







The flat light can sometimes be an advantage for some subjects, like these sand patterns: 









Earlier in the day we had visited the neighbouring island of Berneray (Berneray is connected to North Uist via a causeway). The fine white sandy beach made up for the lack of sunlight in the compositions and if my bearings are correct the island offshore is Pabbay with Chapaval, on the Isle of Harris, just about visible through the cloud in the distance:





Finally, I believe this is Traigh Hornais, Clachan Sands on North Uist. We made a quick stop here and returned the following day when the photography gods rewarded our persistence with a spell of fine sunny weather. I will say more about this in the next post:

No comments:

Post a Comment