Saturday 12 September 2020

Clachan Sands, North Uist (2013)

After two days of less than ideally photography conditions, the weather turned fine and sunny for our last day on North Uist. We chose a location we had briefly visited on the previous day and I am rather sticking my neck out by titling this post Clachan Sands as I had to piece together the location from the photographs and a search online. 

The main identifiers were two cemeteries and a quick search suggests that the cemetery shown in a panorama format below is Clachan Sands cemetery. This followed by a black and white of the older  Clachan Shannda Burial Ground:


On the basis of the cemetery locations I am fairly sure that the following set of images was taken at Traigh Hornais, Clachan Sands. On reflection, I wish that I had taken better notes on the different venues we visited, something that I have been much better at in recent years. 

With the location sorted, all I wanted to say is how different the island looked in fine weather, particularly when compared with the previous two days of overcast and gloomy conditions. In common with many places in the Outer Hebrides it is possible to believe that the photographs could have been taken somewhere far more topical than the far north of Britain!

These were some of the results, with a number of the compositions using a rocky outcrop as a foreground lead in to an island, which I believe is Boreray. With nobody on the beach the sand patterns remained undisturbed and these became the focus for a further series of photographs, as did the fluffy white clouds. I particularly like how one cloud mirrored a single rock on the beach:

















  

No comments:

Post a Comment