Wednesday 23 September 2020

Tracks, Cracks and Crops (August 2020)

Local photography has probably never been as relevant as it has been during the Covid pandemic when travelling and staying away from home has been restricted either by rules or by choice. 

Fortunately, taking photographs close to home has been something that I have enjoyed for a number of years. I even have a long running project that I call 'doorstep photography' which includes only the photographs I take within walking distance of home. 

The challenge for doorstep photography is keeping things fresh. The immediate environment can become very familiar over time and it is tempting to dismiss shots because they have been taken before.

I have certainly fallen into this trap on occasions but if I concentrate less on outcomes and more on the enjoyment of photography, I always find something to capture and sometimes surprise myself. For example, the following selection wasn't one I could plan from home. All the images were taken spontaneously whilst out walking across local fields, on footpaths that branch from the Southwell Trail, and feature mostly abstract style compositions.

Tracks and Cracks

Crossing one of the fields, I noticed how dry the path had become during the summer. The tractor tracks made in softer ground had subsequently hardened and the path had cracked with jagged lines cutting their way around embedded stones:  











Crops 

This year's crop was sugar beets, grown in regimented rows but since disguised by maturing leaves. A sprinkler system was in operation to combat the dryness and promote growth, the spray forming a rainbow in the summer sunlight:




In a neighbouring field the corn crop had already grown above head height:



Finally, the wild grasses that grow around the trees and at the edges of the fields had also dried in the summer heat:





No comments:

Post a Comment