Sunday 16 August 2020

Harris Squares - Part 4 (Scotland 2013)

This last selection of square compositions from the Isle of Harris (2013) features peat cutting near to Leverburgh. There is, however, a slight difference to previous posts in this series as not all the images are square! That said, the principle or approach to the photography was the same: developing a topic or theme through a series of images.

Back in 2013 this type of photography was broadly new to me. I hadn’t previously considered describing a theme for my photography beyond a statement of location and weather conditions for my landscapes. Today, I take a different approach and feel that my best photography is generated from a clear definition of the subject, or motif, something that I now even apply to my landscape photography.

As a result, if I find myself struggling with a subject I tend to resolve this with a set of questions, often starting with: what characterises this place? If necessary, I can take the answers and drill down further and keep going. Eventually I arrive at more abstract concepts which I can then tie into the main theme. Of course, none of this guarantees results but it is very satisfying when it all comes together. 

Seeing the first signs of a change in my photography has been one of the most interesting aspects of this virus lockdown re-processing exercise. And, whilst I have really enjoyed revisiting all the Scotland landscapes, it has been this sub-series of Harris squares that has greatest impact on my photography over the last seven years.
















1 comment: