Thursday 6 August 2020

Harris Squares - Part 3 (Scotland 2013)

The square format theme on the Isle of Harris continued with a visit to the the Harris Tweed shop in Tarbert. The textures and colours were terrific and similarly to the images of the machair (Harris Square - Part 2), I combined some of the photographs into a themed polyptych:


Looking back I can see how this Scotland trip started an interest in creating panels of related images that stays with me today. I am more inclined these days to look for themed opportunities when taking photographs, often working with motifs rather than pre-visualising outcomes. In 2013, I had a very particular idea about what constituted a ‘good’ photograph and measured every scene to that template....often being disappointed with one aspect or other. Today, I am less critical and demanding of my photography and this is why I have really enjoyed reviewing this Scotland trip, processing many photographs that I skipped over in 2013. It has also inspired to me to take a fresh look at other photographic trips from the past, to see what else I overlooked, and to bring them up-to-date in this blog. 

In the meantime, these are a selection of the images taken at the Harris Tweed shop:






No comments:

Post a Comment