Friday 29 May 2020

Luskentyre - Part 2 (2013)

The photography continued into the afternoon on the first day on the Isle of Harris with stops at various point along the river estuary at Luskentyre. The subjects were the amazing colours of the sand banks and the flowing water, which varied from turquoise to an emerald green depending on the overhead weather conditions. The darker the clouds the more intense the colour became. It was a fabulous scene that I appreciated more when I reprocessed the images.



Most of the images during the afternoon were taken with a compact camera. If I remember correctly there was a lot of stopping and starting, in and out of the car, dodging the rain, and the compact camera was the quickest and easiest way to record the conditions. When I returned home in 2013 and reviewed the images I reject quite a few on quality grounds, there was a lot of noise in the dark areas and I rather wished I had used the main camera and tripod instead of the compact camera.

Seven years later I am less fussy about quality issues and I am happy to make corrections in the software, treating each image on its visual merits, regardless of which camera I use. As a result, the reprocessing exercise made the following selection one of my favourites from the Scotland trip. I particular like the more intimate or abstract landscapes of the estuary and these would be the type of subjects I would major on today if I was ever lucky enough to return to Luskentyre:


























No comments:

Post a Comment