Monday 4 May 2020

Scotland 2013 - Introduction

I have signalled in recent posts that I am processing old photographs as one of the ways of keeping the photoblog going during the coronavirus lockdown. Due to shielding there is no new photography to post but the idea of selecting photography from past years has been interesting and happily engaging; so much so, I am ready to post some of the results much sooner than I had anticipated.

The subject for the retrospective posting is a trip to Scotland in April and May 2013, starting from a base in Ballahoulish before making our way to the Ilse of Harris, North Uist and finally the Ilse of Skye.

The aim of the trip was primarily landscape photography, seeking out some of the iconic scenes I had seen in magazines and online photographic sites e.g. Black Rock Cottage, Castle Stalker, the beeches of Luskentyre. However, what has interested me most when re-processing the images was the first signs of a shift in my photography, probably unnoticed at the time, but very recognisable today. In fact, as I worked through the images I could see many opportunities that I missed but also some photography that I really enjoyed. As a result, this has inspired me to revisit the Highlands when we get passed this virus pandemic...something positive that I can look forward to...

As I post the photographs from the trip, I will include reflections on the photography together with location information. Unfortunately, I didn’t keep detailed notes at the time so there a bit of guess work involved. Like so many of my blogposts I hope that the photography does most of the talking rather than my clumsy attempts with the written word.

With that in mind, these are a small selection of photographs from the first days in Scotland which I will expand upon in the forthcoming series of posts:










No comments:

Post a Comment