Sunday 28 April 2019

Warm, Cool & Cold

One thing I have learned over the years in photography is never to prejudge the photographic conditions from the safety of the armchair at home. It is so easy to believe that there will be nothing ‘new’ to photograph. Sure, I get times when I go out and get nothing. For example, I generally don’t take photographs if it starts to rain heavily, but then again, I can think of times when I have got wet and then seen wonderful rainbows.

As I have matured in photography I have come to realise that photographing something new is not necessarily about the subject, it is about the light and the weather conditions. Each day is unique in this sense, particularly in the UK, where we are blessed with a variety of different weather conditions, sometimes all in one day! 

Getting out and recording some of this with a camera is the joy of photography.... for me anyway...and I am very happy to see the same relatively small bit of landscape change from day-to-day. This selection taken from the Southwell Trail during February is a good example of three different days and three different types of light: firstly, some cool light on the fields, then some warm light at the tail end of the day, and finally some cold and misty conditions.

Cool Light





Warm Light 








Misty Coldness 




No comments:

Post a Comment