Saturday 31 August 2019

July on the Southwell Trail - Part 2

Similarly to previous months, I continued capturing different aspects of the Southwell Trail as part of my daily walks. These are a round up of the various subjects that caught my eye:

A meadow cranesbill:


Field scabious




Harebell


Foxglove



Mayweed






Earlier in the year I made distinction between blackthorn and damson blossom and stated I would wait to see any fruit to confirm my identification. Below is some early blackthorn sloes and then an image of what I believe to be damson fruit. The damsons are bigger more plum-like.....although now I have loaded the images this is hard to see. The damsons where quite high in the tree whereas the sloes where lower allowing me a close up shot.



Sweet pea flowers, lovely colour:



This was a new one for me. I think it is a chicory flower. Like all my identifications, I try to be as accurate as possible but mistakes can happen:



Butterfly identification is out of my comfort zone but I think this a large heath butterfly on knapweed:


Horse chestnut conker husks and the unsightly leaf blotch which seems to affect most of the local trees:



Finally a splash of autumn colour? Some red oak leaves in July:


No comments:

Post a Comment