Thursday 1 August 2019

Trent Lock (May 2019)

The Erewash Canal meets the River Trent at Trent Lock. It is a picturesque location although dominated by the Radcliffe Power Station cooling towers.

The visit to Trent Lock was part of series of outdoor watercolour painting sessions I was attending during April and May. I am new to painting and working outdoors was a tough but enjoyable experience. Ultimately, I want to include my art in this blog but I am not sure I am quite ready to publish my work as yet.

My photography experience tells me that progress and confidence is achieved by turning an activity into a habit. This means painting regularly, learning by doing, and being comfortable making mistakes.

Currently, I have a good photography habit - in fact, the habit is so strong that it is hard to make time for painting. With that in mind I have made a conscious effort in the last couple of months to share time between photography and art. At this early stage, I feel that I am not achieving with either activity! But, I will persist, and see where it takes me.

In the meantime, these are some of the photographs I took after the painting sessions and whilst many of my fellow artists wanted to avoid the power station in the compositions, I found it made an interesting subject for the photography:















 

No comments:

Post a Comment