Monday 4 February 2019

Tree Music

In December, I posted a series of photographs featuring my favourite local ash trees. The photos were taken over a couple of months in autumn and documented the seasonal changes in one very specific location. In this post, I use the same approach but this time concentrating on a specific oak tree on the Southwell Trail, Nottinghamshire.

I pass this tree nearly everyday whilst I am out walking and I will invariably take a photograph if the light is right. This may seem a little odd to record the same tree so frequently but I really enjoy the different compositions it provides, as I will attempt to explain.

For me, a photographic composition provides the same enjoyment as a piece of music or a favourite song. It can be played over again often promoting the same emotional reaction. Occasionally though I will hear something new, perhaps by focusing on a particular instrument, or may be it conjures a new thought or a new feeling.

From an audience perspective a musician wants to translate their emotion and feeling through their music and the same is true for a photographer presenting their photographs. When I look at other photographers’ work I often ask what mood is being translated through their images and the photographers that I enjoy the most are those that are clearly inspired by their subject matter.

That said, one person’s music is another person’s noise. So, in the context of my oak tree shots, I really hope that any viewers can see something more in these photographs than.....just a tree!

This initial selection shows the aforementioned oak tree from late October with green leaves, to November's autumn colours, and finally its winter condition in mid-December:









The tree works equally as well when viewed from the other direction:







Occasionally, I will turn the camera and take portrait versions:





Just a bit further along the trail is another great oak tree. It has wonderful low branch that nicely frames the landscape:






No comments:

Post a Comment