Monday 26 July 2021

Scorched Ground (May 2021)

Sometimes life gets in the way of best intentions and I get behind with all of my activities which includes posting photography in this blog format. Currently, I am still working my way through May’s files! 

In my last post, which seems an age ago, I covered the spring colours from the red oaks in Clipstone Forest. On the same walk I visited Strawberry Hill Heath which includes a fine plantation of sessile oak trees which date from the 1850’s (1). It was therefore concerning to see a nearby area of fire damaged woodland with the possibility that a blaze had been started deliberately (2). Fortunately, the ancient trees were undamaged but looking at the area of scorched ground it was close and the impact could have been much worse:










These were some of the spring colour from the native oaks on Strawberry Hill:















(1) https://www.nottinghamshirewildlife.org/nature-reserves/strawberry-hill-heath

(2) https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/youths-seen-running-scene-after-5330295

No comments:

Post a Comment