Thursday 29 April 2021

Bamburgh Beach (February 2014)

Following directly on from my last post is a series of photographs taken on Bamburgh Beach in 2014. I had captured the sunrise with the castle in the background and finding it difficult to shoot effectively into the sun, I turned around to take advantage of some side lighting. 

As explained previously, these posts are a review of old photographic trips, designed to bridge the gap in current photography caused by coronavirus. I have said a few times that I have been surprised by the results, often finding photographs that were left unprocessed at the time, with this selection being another example. 

I think I had pre-determined in 2014 that Bamburgh Castle was my subject for the morning to the exclusion of everything else. If I visited the location today I would be less concerned about the ‘classic view’ and more interested in finding different compositions - perhaps being less representational in my approach. 

So what interests me now about the selection below is how the sequence progresses. I used the sunlight to capture Black Rocks Point Lighthouse and also the light on rocks looking out to sea. In each of the sea facing shots I placed the distinctive shape of the Farne Islands on the horizon to the right of the compositions. I was making a clear effort, although I don’t recall doing this deliberately, to represent the location - Bamburgh Beach.








As the conditions changed, I walked towards Budle Bay and the style of photography altered. It became less representational. These shots could have been taken on any beach and simply capture the sand patterns. Again, I don’t think this was deliberate, I was just reacting to what was in front of me. However, today I would recognise the distinction and wonder how much better these shots would have been if I had been brave enough to start the morning in Budle Bay with that wonderful golden hour sunlight? 

Something to ponder if I get an opportunity to revisit the location...








I finished the morning back at the castle and a record shot of the big dice (relicts I believe from WWII sea defences). It then rained, heavily. 

What to do in poor weather on the Northumberland coast? That will be the subject for the next post in this series...

No comments:

Post a Comment