Tuesday 23 February 2021

Selfridges (January 2014)

In addition to visiting the Library of Birmingham in January 2014, I walk down to the Selfridges store in the Bullring. 

Selfidges has become an iconic landmark in the regenerated Bullring and city centre. Its distinctive design is an example of ‘blogitecture’, a movement in architecture for buildings with curved and rounded shapes (1). This is further emphasised by the 15,000 aluminium discs mounted on the external facade (2).

The whole building is impressive to view but up-close the mesmerising perspective of the flowing discs really caught my eye. 

Looking at all the images I can see that I played with this perspective from a number of different angles but only really processed one or two images in 2014. Now, as part of my lockdown re-processing exercise I have expanded the selection producing the following set of photographs. 

















I can remember on the day stopping the photography when it rained but returned later just as it was getting dark. This added reflected light and colour to the discs and series of images that remained unprocessed at the time. The low light, noise from the high ISO, and an odd colour shift put me off in 2014 but I have now cleaned up the photographs to produced this additional selection:









(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blobitecture

(2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selfridges_Building,_Birmingham



No comments:

Post a Comment