Sunday 14 June 2020

Scarista (Scotland 2013)

I don’t remember too many details of the visits to Scarista beach beyond the heavy rain showers and a driving wind whipping the top off the breaking waves. I can see, however, from the photographs, moments of light sculpting the landscape and funnels of rain falling in front of the Harris Hills making for some dramatic landscapes that I had largely forgotten about.

It was therefore a pleasure during the virus lockdown to rediscover some of these images including a few that I merged together in a panoramic format. Clearly that must have be intention at the capture stage, but years latter it was not so obvious. I particularly enjoyed the moment of satisfaction when Lightroom completed the merge and the extended scenes were revealed.

These days I rarely think about multiple image panoramas and prefer to compose in one image, thinking more about what to leave out of the image rather than trying to fit more in. This includes cropping to a 16:9 letterbox format if it helps. That said, I think the panoramas from Scarista do work:







Whilst waiting for the light to change and the weather to pass, I took some record shots of the sea and the breaking waves: 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment