Thursday 11 June 2020

Abandoned (Scotland 2013)

The theme for this selection of photographs from the Scotland trip in 2013 is abandoned homes, or crofts, on the Isle of Harris. It was not subject I would have pursued myself but other photographers on the trip were keen, so I joined in, albeit a little halfheartedly.

It appeared, particularly in one croft, that the last residents had left suddenly leaving behind some furniture and a few possessions. I guess, I didn’t feel totally comfortable with this at the time and subsequently I did nothing with the photographic results when I returned home.

On reflection, I am surprised how much of the photography from this Scotland trip went unprocessed with only a few landscapes cherry-picked for competitions or display online. Revisiting the Scotland trip has allowed me to take a fresh perspective on my photography in 2013, something I have enjoyed doing, including re-looking at the abandoned homes images.

Although I would not have been able to articulate this in 2013, I do see an attempt at describing a sense of place, going beyond representational landscapes, and saying something more about the Isle of Harris. Of course the results are not coherent in this respect, and even today I would identify the development of a refined sense of place as my biggest photographic challenge...


















No comments:

Post a Comment