Saturday 14 March 2020

Burnham-on-Sea - Day 2 (February 2020)

On the second day at Burnham-on-Sea I resisted the temptation to get up for another dawn session. I wasn't a hard decision!

Instead, I planned a leisurely post breakfast walk from the seafront in Burnham along the River Brue towards Highbridge. There was no particular photography plan on this occasion and I simply reacted to any subject that caught my eye.

As it turned out, there was plenty to photograph and too much to comfortably fit into one post. I have therefore split the content and will present these in a series of posts, starting here with images of the sea wall and some of the boats on the river.

The seawall in Burnham stops at the mouth of the River Brue. It is a visually interesting structure, curved outwards to repel the tide with a series of wide steps down to the beach:







Looking out from the seafront, across Bridgwater Bay, I noticed how one particular sand bank, which I think is Stert Island, seemed to attract the morning light:



This next set of images shows the River Brue at low tide and the various boats stranded on the shiny mud banks, some at oblique angles. I started alternating between abstract shots of the mud, which I will show in the next post, and images of boats. I had one eye on potential subjects for my watercolour painting and even made a few brief sketches. Interestingly though, I found it hard to concentrate on photography and art at the same time....one seemed to interfere with the other. I think this has something to do with visual focus: what makes a good photographic subject doesn’t necessarily translate into art and visa-versa. In the end, I settled for just the photography and deferred the art to the following day.













No comments:

Post a Comment