Sunday 19 August 2018

Gunnerside (June 2018)

These are a selection of images taken on a walk from Low Row to Gunnerside in Yorkshire plus some wildflowers photographs taken over a couple of days in the Swaledale area.

Starting with the wildflowers, we were intrigued by the following yellow flower which I think is a  monkey flower (Mimulus guttatus). We found it mostly in the wet areas by the River Swale and there were several patches where it seemed to be very abundant:




A few other wildflowers I selected includes: a cranesbill which I believe to be a wood cranesbill; an eyebright; a red clover flower; a speedwell which I think is a germander speedwell; and a knapweed flower (possibly black knapweed).






The footpath from Low Row to Gunnerside ran alongside the River Swale. The water level seemed very low due to the lack of sustained rainfall during May and June.



The fields at Gunnerside are patchwork of drystone walls and barns which I tried to capture as we walked, although we placed more focus on reaching the pub than the photography - far too hot for walking and too bright for good landscaping. I tried mono for a couple of the shots to counteract the brightness but I am not sure it made much difference to the results.






No comments:

Post a Comment