Thursday 9 December 2021

Stonehills Plantation (November 2021)

Whilst driving on Derby Road near to Kirby in Ashfield, I spotted some autumn colours in a beech wood which I know now to be Stonehills Plantation. 

The plantation can be accessed from Cauldwell Road next to the Cauldwell Dam fishing pond where I captured this brief bit of sunlight catching the bright yellow leaves of a young field maple tree:





I did eventually find the beech trees I had seen from the road. What I had noticed in particular was tall trees with low spreading branches, a combination that photographs well, especially with autumn colours. Unfortunately though, by the time I had walked up through the wood, the sunlight had largely disappeared with only brief burst in between passing clouds. This did impact on some of final images...I much prefer bright conditions for autumn photography.

I had intended to return to the Stonehills Plantation on a better weather day but didn’t manage to fit it in with the other more established locations that I had on my list, but it is noted for next year. 

These were some of this year’s results:





















No comments:

Post a Comment