Thursday 25 November 2021

September and October on the Southwell Trail - Part 2 (2021)

I raised in my last post the idea of photography as a mindful activity and will expand a bit more with this selection of photographs. 

Often mindfulness is portrayed as something done with your eyes closed in a dark room with a focus on the regularity of breathing. The aim is to relax the mind from the relentless stream of thoughts, staying in the present moment for the duration of the exercise. This is particularly helpful to relieve stress and/or manage intrusive thoughts. 

Whilst I find the standard mindfulness techniques very useful, I am more able to engage for longer when it is part of an activity, like photography. 

To this end, I have a number of locations that I can access easily from home at different times of the day. One of these is a stretch of the Southwell Trail that receives nice light at the end of a day. I am very familiar with the compositions on this stretch of the trail so I am able to concentrate solely on the light and how it falls on my chosen subjects. This means I am rarely distracted by the technicalities of photography including making any judgements about the results. In this way, I can stay in the moment and just go with the flow…

These are some of the images from this section of the trail during September and October:

















     

No comments:

Post a Comment