Sunday 27 January 2019

Farnsfield Trees in Autumn

In December, I posted some early autumn photographs of trees in, and around, the village of Farnsfield, Nottinghamshire. I also stated in the post that I had revisited these trees on several occasions capturing the autumn colours as they developed and eventually died away.

The regular revisits are necessary as each type of tree colours and sheds their leaves at different times during the season. For example, the common lime is one of the earliest to lose its leaves and by the end of first week in November the limes are mostly bare and ready for winter.

I took these lime tree images in the last week of October. There were still leaves on the tree but much of the autumn colour was disguised by the low afternoon sunlight - turning lime to orange!





The leaf colour is easier to see in these close-up images:




Just over a week later I returned to find that most of the leaves had fallen. On this occasion though I photographed a different common lime tree on the same path:





In the December post I eulogised about one particular tree on the edge of the village which I have often thought might be a common lime. I can't get close enough to confirm the identity but the fact that it lost it leaves at the same time as the other lime trees in the area suggests it could be a lime (I can rule out it being an ash by zooming into the leaf shape on the PC). Either way, it looks very different one month on from my early October photograph:




In my next post, I will cover more of the Farnsfield trees concentrating mainly on the oak trees, one of the last trees to colour and lose their leaves in autumn.


No comments:

Post a Comment