Saturday 16 June 2018

Spring on the Southwell Trail - Part 6

Anxious to get the spring series going with some seasonal shots, I went looking for early examples of wildflowers. I enjoy the wildflower spotting and whilst it is more record photography than anything creative, the flowers are an integral part of the Southwell Trail at this time of year.

The challenge is making the correct identification, some wildflowers look very similar and it is easy to make mistakes. I try to cross reference most of the photos with books and internet searches but if I am unclear I will be cautious with the final identification. This is what I found whilst walking along the trail:

Chickweed



Common Dog Violet


Flowering Currant


Perennial Honesty 


Red Dead Nettle


Forsythia


Lesser Celandine


Emerging Blossom (possibly cherry)


Hornbeam Catkins

I think these are hornbeam catkins but to be honest it is not a tree I am overly familiar with. Over the years I have probably confused hornbeams with beech trees as they look very similar, although the former is part of the birch family. This year I want to make a positive identification of the hornbeam along the trail.



Willow Catkins



Ash Tree Bud



Sycamore Tree Bud (not totally sure though)




No comments:

Post a Comment