Thursday 19 July 2018

Spring on the Southwell Trail - Wildflowers (May 2018)

This selection of wildflowers from the Southwell Trail  includes some that I have struggled to identify from the photographs. For example, the yellow flowers below might be from the same species but it is hard to be certain. I really need more information e.g. the shape of the leaves. I think I can align them to the buttercup family and if really pressed I think the may be lesser spearwort, but I am not sure:




Guelder Rose

Sometimes I know I have photographed a particular flower previously but I can't remember its name. Also, annoyingly, I when I search back I find that I haven't placed a keyword or title on the image. This means starting the identification process again and, in this case, it turned out to be a guelder rose:



Ribwort Plantain

This flower/grass is instantly recognisable by sight but I had no idea of its name. With some research I am fairly sure it is ribwort plantain although I can't say that I have heard of plantain family previously:



Ferns

Some new fern growth.....it is that time of year:



Chervil 

I find the apiaceae or umbelliferae (carrot family) hard to identify. There are many different types  and they seem so similar. I am sticking my neck out to say that these are rough chervil:




Dog Rose




Herb Bennet

Another I am not sure about but I think it is Herb Bennet:



Hedgerow Cranesbill

I am comfortable that this is a type of geranium but I am less certain it is a Hedgerow Cranesbill:


Elderflower

There is lots of elderflower along the trail:




Common Vetch

Lastly a common vetch, a member of the pea family:



No comments:

Post a Comment