Wednesday 18 July 2018

Spring on the Southwell Trail - Wildflowers (May 2018)

These are a selection of wildflower photographs taken along the Southwell Trail during May. Mainly, I capture the flowers as I see them, there isn’t anything scientific about my approach, and like much of my photography, it is part of an enjoyable past time activity. This extends to identifying the flowers from the photographs and, being no expert, I might get some of the identities wrong - although I try hard to avoid this.

Horse Chestnut Tree

These are the impressive flowers of the horse chestnut tree:




Campion



Stitchwort



Hawthorn Blossom





Herb-Robert




Dandelion

Some of the most ordinary wildflowers, or weeds, are actually quite fascinating when they are looked at closely. The dandelion, for example, isn’t just one flower but a composite which includes many small flowers or florets. It is generally apomictic which means that seed production occurs without pollination - it only take one dandelion to create a lawn full of them, each plant being genetically identical to the parent!







Honeysuckle



No comments:

Post a Comment