Monday 23 April 2018

Winter on the Southwell Trail - Part 9

The Southwell Trail runs in an easterly direction from Farnsfield to Southwell. On sunny mornings it is often best to walk to the halfway point at the old Kirklington and Edingley railway station and then take photographs on the way back with the sun broadly over the shoulder.

I can remember when I had my first childhood camera being taught to always take photographs with the light source behind me. This enabled a more even exposure on the film and a ‘better’ photograph. Today, the technology allows a more creative approach and subjects that have even front lighting can now be considered as flat, or lacking creativity. That said, the best lighting is still the one that is right for the subject and there was just enough side lighting to make the compositions in this set interesting, particularly the more close up shots of the tree branches:











Prior to taking the above set, I spotted these catkin laden trees near the Kirklington and Edingley station. I was attracted by the pinky bronze colour which suggests they may be Alder trees:





The old station house is now a residential property. There is still some evidence of the old platform but the most obvious remnant from its past railway days is this loading gauge. I believe a loading gauge was set for the maximum height and width for trains to safely navigate under the bridges along the line although I can’t help but think it would be a bit late to get this point and discover otherwise!


Finally, a couple of shots of the fields at the Kirklington and Edingley station section of the trail, a location I would return in a couple of weeks time with snow on the ground:




No comments:

Post a Comment