Tuesday 16 January 2018

Early Autumn, Sherwood Forest (October 2017)

I noticed that the beech leaves close to home had started changing colour and I decided to take a look at how autumn was progressing in Sherwood Forest. There is a patch of beech trees that I particularly enjoy photographing near to Hanger Hill Wood.

When I arrived there was still lots of green except for a couple of branches where the leaves had turned to a vibrant orange. Just that small amount of colour was enough to make some early autumn compositions:










Not far from Hanger Hill Wood is a beech tree plantation which I have photographed a number of times over the years. On this occasion the bright conditions, one of the few blue sky days in October, made it hard to gain a balanced exposure. In the end I decided to use the strong contrast as a feature of the compositions:





On the walk back to the car I took a series of images of the fading sunlight high in the trees. I particularly enjoy this type of shot in autumn as it captures the colours so well. I also like the unusual point of view and the sense of perspective created by the converging lines of the trees trunks:









No comments:

Post a Comment