Saturday 13 January 2018

Autumn on the Southwell Trail - Part 4

After diverting to a set of images from 2015, I am back to autumn 2017 and the continuation of a series that looks to document the season on the Southwell Trail in Nottinghamshire.

Although I often return to photographic venues on a regular basis this is the first time that I have tried a documentary style of photography in one location for a prolonged period of time. What was particularly noticeable during October was how slow the season progressed and at one stage I was thinking that the project was a bit of a mistake. The many dull weather days didn't help.

When there was an odd bit of brightness I captured some the landscape surrounding the trail. These are some examples:






I tried to set up some compositions that I could easily repeat to show the seasonal changes. This is one example showing a couple of ash trees laden with leaves in early October and then almost bare towards the end of the month:



Similarly, the ash trees that line the trail gradually lost leaves:






When the weather was poor I picked out colours where I could find them. Examples include, rosebay willowherb as it begins to die off, some rosehips, and single fallen leaf:




This post concludes the first half of the project, late September to the end of October. The second half now moves into a series of posts that cover November and early December which includes the more rustic tones of autumn as the oak tree leaves start to change colour, the weather is kinder for photography, and the first frost of the season are then followed by a brief snow fall.

Before publishing these images the next couple of posts will cover some early autumn shots taken in Sherwood Forest.

1 comment: