Tuesday 2 August 2016

Calke Abbey - Photography Week 27 (2016)

Completing a drop off at East Midlands airport gave me a spare hour to visit Calke Abbey and County Park. I was interested in the wet land area and the possibility of creating a larger panel of intimate landscape images similar to the collection published during week 25.

The results, unfortunately, were not as I imagined and even at the capture stage I could see it was not really working. Instead of trying to flog the proverbial dead horse, I moved on quickly to the house and the church.

As I was setting up, a chap wandered up and regaled me with the best times of year to visit the park for photography - autumn with the changing leaves and winter with the snow on the ground. Of course he was right. Dark shadows, bright highlights, and dominating greens are all features of the summer months which don't always translate well in the camera.



Photography, though, can be creative art. As the chap waved goodbye I was thinking of the possibilities. Black and white is always an option. In summer, infrared (IR) techniques render the greens either to snowy white or a pinky (magenta) hue. Having an IR converted camera is the best way to capture these effects but they can be partially recreated in software as I have done here:

Neutral Black and White

Neutral Black and White

Mono IR

Toned IR


Other possibilities include photo-art. There are many global art filters that can be applied to photographs including watercolour and oil painting effects. Alternatively, paintings can be created using art brushes in Photoshop (or similar software) on layers which use the original image as a reference point. In these examples, I used a textured brush to create a pastel drawing effect on the church and then a watercolour process on the house:















No comments:

Post a Comment