Thursday 14 July 2016

Bedruthan Steps - Photography Weeks 19 and 20 (2016)

Fine weather was forecast for the first trip to Bedruthan Steps. In reality it turned out to be a bit murky. Trying to make the most of it, I looked for alternative sources of colour and interest on the beach:





There was some great colour from the thrift on the cliff top:





The second trip, a couple of days later, started with better weather:



I had a couple of aims for the trip: capturing the stacks on the beach at low tide and thrift on the cliff top in evening light. Both required a bit of a wait so I filled the time scouting along the coastal path:




As soon as the tide allowed I went down to the beach and captured these wet sand scenes:




Within a short while the blue skies where replaced by cloudier conditions allowing these shots into the light. This particular stack is known as the Queen Bess Rock due to its apparent likeness to Elizabeth I (I wasn't sure I could see this but was more convinced when I found this link). I later converted the images to black and white:




At this point I could see the possibility of losing the light for the evening and it was decision time. I could either stay longer on the beach or head for the cliff top as planned. I decided on the latter which meant a quick climb up the 100 plus steps from to the beach.

I recovered enough to take these shots before the light faded:



There were a couple of glimpses of sunlight after this but nothing to brighten the foreground:









No comments:

Post a Comment