Thursday 5 May 2016

Rinsey Head - Photography Week 15 (2016)

This was my first visit to Rinsey Head. It was not on my original location list for Cornwall but I saw Wheal Prosper shown on a TV programme (not Poldark!) and I decided it looked interesting.

The car park at Rinsey is accessed via a narrow road and there is walk down the cliff to Rinsey Beach (or Porthcew on the map). The final descent to the beach is over rocks and with the tide against me I decided not to go any further. I noted some large white granite boulders which may be worth exploring in the future.



Further along Rinsey East Cliff is a rocky shelf with a small stack at its head. Water runs from the cliffs over these rocks leaving some colourful deposits:





A larger stack sits off Trewavas Cliff called the Bishop or Camel Rock. Apparently it looks like a camel. I see the chess bishop shape more than a camel shape - but there we go. The top of the stack is obscured as it runs through Porthleven in the background. There may be a way to avoid this by altering the shooting angle, but my eye was caught by the cloud formation which works well in black and white:



Just past the Bishop rock are the mine buildings at Wheal Trewavas. Morning light looks a better bet for this composition although the highlighted bracken in the foreground breaks up the shadow area:



I finished the visit by taking higher route back to the car park. I tried some compositions with the evening light including a final shot of Wheal Prosper:











No comments:

Post a Comment