Friday 6 May 2016

Botallack Mines - Photography Week 15 (2106)

Inspired by the mine buildings on the cliff at Wheal Trewavas, I decided to make the longer trip to the Crown Mines at Botallack.





Being unfamiliar with the location I left plenty of time to explore the surroundings. I had expected good light all afternoon but it clouded over for a couple of hours. This prompted me to walk along the coastal path towards Cape Cornwall. A helpful walker mentioned great views from Kenidjack Cliff.

Sure enough, the views where spectacular in both directions although I had to wait longer than I had intended for the light to break. Passing the time I took a couple of shots of the cloud formation blocking the sun:






The extended stay on the cliff at Kenidjack meant that I had run short of evening light to capture my pre-prepared shots of the Crown Mines. As I mentioned in a previous post, I try not to rush about with camera. Even on a first visit to a location planning one or two compositions is better than firing off hundreds without thought.

I made it to one of the planned compositions with some light still available. I have included the preparation shot of Wheal Owles taken earlier in the afternoon to show the difference that light makes  to a composition. Ideally, I would have liked the sunlight to have been a little higher in the final shot.

Preparation Shot

Mono Version

Final Version


In more hope than expectation I made it back to the Crown Mines. There was just enough strength in the direct light for one shot. Again, I have included the preparation shot from earlier in the afternoon.

Preparation Shot

Mono Version

Final Version

Had I got back to this point sooner I would have had light on the mine buildings for my final shot of the day. Instead I had to make do with an afterglow effort - always another day I guess!




No comments:

Post a Comment