Tuesday 26 April 2016

Peaceful Resting Place - Photography Week 14 (2016)

Falmouth General Cemetery dates from the mid 19th Century (1) and is situated on a hill overlooking Swanpool. There is a very peaceful walk through the well maintained cemetery and this time of year there is an abundance of primroses and bluebells:





At certain places in the cemetery there are terraces and steps to counteract the steepness of the hill. This allows an unusual grass high view of the primroses and bluebells. Initially, I used a 100mm macro to gain some shots of the flowers but found that it didn't quite have the reach I needed. So, I stepped up to a 100-400mm and then had the thought of adding an extension tube for magnification.

The results were interesting - firstly there was a very narrow depth of field to contend with and then the closer I got to the flowers the more flaws I could see in the primrose petals. Many had rips or pieces of petal missing and normally when photographing flowers I tend to pick out the best specimens. On this occasion though, I decided that this was not important as each flower, despite any perceived flaws, was contributing to a beautiful display of spring flowers.







Mixed in with the primroses were some bluebells. I noticed quite a wide variation in colour and shape and with a bit of research I believe these may be hybrids of the Spanish and native British varieties (2):












Some red berries which look like rose hips but I am unsure due to the time of year and a worm's eye view of a daisy radiating light:





In contrast to all the colour in the cemetery this image of the cemetery chapel seemed to work best in black and white.




(1) http://www.parksandgardens.org/places-and-people/site/1297/summary

(2) http://www.downgardenservices.org.uk/bluebell.htm


Note: this post has been re-published with some corrections and additions. Whilst I enjoy posting my photographs with a written commentary, I don't find it particularly easy and some days are worse than others!

















No comments:

Post a Comment